I have been battling a particularly persistent virus for the last ten days. I don’t remember when I was sick like this last time. Not in the last 3-4 years. Since having a healthy plant based diet along with looking after my supplementation, exercise and meditation, the flu hadn’t done the rounds in our house for a few years now. But this year it started with my son and then I caught it and boy did it get me!!
I started using all the things I knew would help my immune system fight this off quickly. Usually some doses of olive leaf extract and Vitamin C work very well to ward off the early flu symptoms. However sometimes more is needed and this was one of those times….
With the winter setting in to this part of the world (Melbourne), I thought it would be a good idea to write a blog post listing all the things I usually do to help when cold, cough or other flu-like symptoms set in.
Remember to get in early and start as soon as you notice these symptoms. Don’t wait until it’s developed into a full blown flu. You have much better chances of a quick recovery.
- Olive leaf extract works wonders. During winter my whole family usually have a dose of this everyday. However I was having it up to 3 times a day when dealing with the virus. I use the Comvita brand.
- A dose of Vitamin C during winter is also a good idea to boost the immune system. Again I increased the dose when dealing with the virus. I use Melrose Vitamin C powder or Food matters Superfood Vitamin C and Ethical Nutrients Zingles for kids.
- Garlic capsules are good for the same reason. I pop in one every few days during winters but when fighting an infection I had one every day. I use the Kyolic brand.
- Inner health plus powder which is a probiotic powder to help maintain the levels of good bacteria in the gut. I also have homemade kombucha daily and include fermented foods like sauerkraut in my diet whenever possible.
- Turmeric is a great anti inflammatory and can help a lot especially if you have a sore throat. I usually add a tsp of organic turmeric powder in warm water and have it. Or even mix it up with some warm honey and lick it.
- I include Manuka honey and propolis into my protocol which are powerful antimicrobials.
- Super mushroom complex powder which is a high strength mushroom blend for immune system support also works wonders for upper respiratory tract infections. My naturopath recommends the Metagenics brand. You might have to see a naturopath or homeopath to have access to this as it is a ‘Practioner Only’ brand.
- Gargling with salt water and a drop of Doterra Onguard essential oil helps immensely to soothe my inflamed throat.
- I also diffuse Doterra essential oils like Onguard (protective blend), easy air (to clear nasal passages and help breathe better), Oregano (for its antimicrobial properties), Lavender (to soothe and calm) and Frankinsence (an all rounder) or even make blends and rub them on the soles of my feet a few times a day.
- Herbal teas work wonders. I keep sipping on them all day. There are a few of my favourites like lemongrass, ginger, echinacea and elderberry and dandelion. I also make my own. Boil two cups of water and add some fennel seeds, a small stick of licorice, chopped ginger, few peppercorns, cinnamon stick, cardamom and some holy basil leaves. Boil until water is reduced to half. Strain and drink. You can add additional water and reuse these ingredients up to 4 times. Just make it with whatever ingredients you have. And don’t worry about having all of them. I also make herbal teas with fresh herbs from my garden like pineapple sage, gotukola, holy basil, chamomile, and Brahmi. Doterra lemon oil is also a good option to add to teas for that extra immune boost.
- I also make a veggie broth and have it in the fridge for a quick meal or to add it to my soups or to just warm it up and drink it. Often when we are sick our appetite goes down so this is a good way of ensuring you are getting the essential nutrients to help heal. If you consume meat products, you can make bone broths by using organic chicken and lamb bones.
- Give your body lots of rest. That’s what is going to help it recover quicker.
This may seem like a lot but honestly sometimes you can just make a concoction (as my hubby calls them) a couple of times a day and add 4-5 things at once like Vitamin C, olive leaf extract, inner health plus, mushroom powder, propolis & lemon oil and you are done. Also turmeric, honey, ginger juice etc can be added to your herbal teas to make it easier to consume.
All these remedies certainly help in preventing the flu or recovering quickly if you have got it but when symptoms persist always best to consult your doctor or any other health practitioner. The bug I caught recently was a particularly persistent one and I had to see my naturopath who gave me some homeopathic pills and spray and a herbal cough syrup to help me further.
Please share, below in the comments section, any traditional remedies you use or any other tips you want to share. I would love to hear back from you and would love any feedback.
If you think this blogpost might be of interest or will benefit anyone else you know, please share it with them and for further information go to my fb and/ Insta pages.
Stay well and keep making Conscious Courageous Choices.